January 2, 2013

Kk is for Key

Happy New Year!
 
I hope you're all having a safe, fun and relaxing winter break.  My family and I have been busy, busy, busy!  It has been amazing and wonderful, but I think we're all ready to get back into our normal daily routines.
 
I'm going to try to get our Letter of the Week posts caught up during these last few days of break.  Then once we're back in school, I promise I will do my best to update more regularly!  (A New Year's resolution, perhaps?  Nah, let's not call it that, since most resolutions dissolve within a few weeks!  We'll just call it a goal.)
 
Here we go with the letter Kk:
 
 
Kk is for Key
 
The children used a key (yes, a real car key) to practice writing Kk in the sand.  For newbies, learning this letter sound confuses them with the hard /c/ sound.  (English is a confusing language.)  In time, they will learn the difference, and it's mostly just memorizing which letter (c or k) belongs in which word (car or key).  This will come when they begin spelling lessons in first grade.
 
For now, we will just continue to reinforce that Kk begins words like key, kite and kiwi.  Another good way to reinforce this is by playing computer games or just pointing out Kk words in books, magazine, on signs, or anywhere you see words!
 
Check out these fun, FREE preschool learning games:
 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. We love reading your thoughts and suggestions!